Iced In - Highs and Lows

Thanks to some severe wintry weather, our family is on day 3 of being "iced in". Our school district, much to our surprise, canceled school for the third day in a row today. That never happens! So David is relieved from his middle school teaching duties for a while to stay warm inside with us.
I can't say that we have been completely stuck inside, because there is a Walgreens very close by, and David has ventured out to get us some necessities like milk, bread, and chocolate. :)
For the last two afternoons we all cuddled up on our king sized bed with some snacks and put in a movie for the girls, which was really nice. The Netflix membership we got for Christmas from my parents is really coming in handy right now! Thanks Mom & Dad.
Brooke has been playing for hours on end with her little ponies that live in a dollhouse. (She calls them "Your Little Ponies" when she describes them to me because I told her they were called "My Little Ponies" and she thinks that they actually belong to Mommy.)
Really, being in the house all day and being afraid to leave is not very different from my normal life. It is scary to venture out into public with three kids, three and under, by myself.
So I think we would have been just fine being confined to the house for as long as the ice lasted, but the twins threw us a curve ball when they started running fevers.
Everyone had a cold about a week and a half ago, and the runny noses and coughs have stuck around. It wasn't until Tuesday that we noticed the twins not feeling well and having fever. Keely and then Claire both ended up having febrile seizures with their fevers. I was worried but not panicked, because the same thing had happened with a fever to Claire a couple of months ago.
So we braved the ice and got into the van with the girls on Wednesday when the after hours clinic was finally open. We literally slid down the icy driveway, then made our way to the clinic. I was praying the whole way that we wouldn't get stuck somewhere or get in an accident. I know God was guiding us.
The doctor eased our minds about the seizures, but I will have lots of questions for their regular pediatrician on Monday at our follow up.
So for now they are on antibiotics for their sinus infections that they developed from their colds. I am praying that the rest of our time inside will be uneventful, and that the only fevers we experience are the cabin kind.

Alli  – (February 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM)  

Goodness, how scary! I'm glad they're on the mend now & hope you don't have to deal with that again.

Hayley  – (February 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM)  

Oh my goodness...what a week you have had. I hope everyone is on the mend! See you next week!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP