Our World is About to Change!
I am quick to post many happy moments in our lives because it is my nature--to be positive. While there have been lots of special, happy moments in the past weeks, it has been very difficult to deal with the loss of Tommy & Kristina. We keep wondering why something like this would happen. Sometimes it is hard to just get through the week or day or hour without feeling like a huge boulder is on my chest. Our hearts are constantly with Austin, Ginny, and Charlotte, and we know their lives will never be the same without experiencing the physical love and devotion of their Mommy & Daddy.
Many of you have asked where the children will live. It has been the focus of most of our family's daily discussions since the tragedy. Thankfully, most everyone involved has kept the children's best interests at heart during these difficult discussions.
Right now, the kids live in their own home in Austin. Kristina's parents unselfishly put their lives in Illinois on hold to move into the house with the kids since this all happened. They have worked hard to maintain some sense of normalcy and consistency for the children in a time of chaos. Austin is in the same school, Ginny still attends ballet, Calvin the dog is still in the back yard.
Early on, David and I prayed and talked about it and soon offered our home as a permanent option for all three children. We couldn't not offer. We felt God placed this opportunity in front of us, and it felt natural to welcome the kids into our family. We were one of a few options. The whole situation is quite complicated, which is why I am only writing about it now.
Since I feel a firm decision has been made, I would like to share that Austin and Ginny will most likely join our family within the next month. For many reasons, and after talking to several counselors and psychologists, most people feel it is best for Austin and Ginny to live with us, and Charlotte will live with Kristina's sister Jessica and her family. David and I feel a peace about the situation, although it took me a while to get used to the children being split up. I know Charlotte will have a wonderful upbringing filled with love, and I am confident the children will remain close through the years.
We are experiencing many emotions every day: joy, excitement, anxiety, fear--all of which are probably normal. We thank all the people that have been angels to us during this time. I hope I can someday show you how much your support has meant to us. Please continue to pray for the transition. We are comforted in knowing God has a plan for the children and the entire family.
In conclusion, I will leave you with a smile...
This is how Brooke feels about getting a new big brother and sister.

We look forward to meeting Austin and Ginny!! Brooke will be the sweetest little sis :-)
Austin and Ginny will be so loved by you and David. They are so lucky to have a loving and supportive family. We will continue to keep y'all in our prayers as everyone goes through this transition. Brooke will be a great little sis. We can't wait to meet them.
We will continue to pray for you guys as you bring these sweet children into your home. I know that you'll be wonderful parents to them.
Kim--your grace and courage are only matched by your compassion. We are all praying for you--but that includes being here to help too. Brooke has a wonderful mommy and daddy.
i know you and david will make a wonderful home for austin and ginny. we will continue to pray for all of you. i would love to do anything i can to help you. just let me know.
I know this was not an easy decision for you guys. You are both going to be such a blessing to Austin and Ginny. We will continue to pray for you all during this time.